In October 1871 a provisional school was opened with 36 pupils. Archibald Douglas from Gayndah was appointed Head Teacher and held classes in what he described as a crude bark humpy. In January 1874 the school received State School status with, Robert Ross as Head Teacher. The School was given the number 75 in the list of Queensland State Schools, making it one of the oldest schools in the district. In the early 1900's the school population averaged in the several hundreds, though figures as high as 680 have been quoted.
The School was opened at its present location in September 1954 and has probably changed little in that time except for a few cosmetics here and there. The school's enrolment for 2009 is expected to be about 50 including prep students.
The teaching staff now comprises two teachers (including the principal), three teacher aides, an administrative assistant, cleaner and part time grounds care person.
Mt. Perry's proud and colourful past combined with a vision for the future will ensure that our children meet the 21st century fiercely proud of themselves and their heritage, well equipped to face the challenges before them, and ready to create some history themselves.